Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Finishing the trimmings!

Voxys chrome trimmings, like most of whats in her, were neglected, faded and rusted. Time to turn my attention to them.



As you can see, the chrome covers of her front signal lights not only lost their shine but has rust all over it.
Take note that these are made of  plastic - how neglected were they that they finally gave in to rust. Based on my forensic investigation (hehe) - heres what happened - The covers lost their shine first, were then roughened by the forces of nature, got molds, then were finally invaded by rust. How long was voxy in solitude? When was the last time her previous owner gave her some TLC? :( I see now that I got this bug for a purpose, so that someone could take care of her :) Dont you think we were meant to be? :)

Cleaned the covers and the lens with some soap and water.



Sanded the old chrome in preparation for some metallic silver paint - Having them chromed will burn a hole in my pockets :) God willing,  I will have them chromed in the future but for now, the silver paint will do :)



While waiting for the paint to dry, decided to assemble the tail light.



Got a new tail lightassembly from Nardos VW supply. The assembly and the housing are held together by 4 small bolts. Got them for 700 each, relatively cheaper as they were made in brazil. I hope the lens can withstand years of rain and shine. :)


 TIP: I very practical trick I got from Ate Cora (Mang Nardos Wife) is to replace the rubber trimmings of the tail lights and signal lights with fuel hose instead of buying replacement rubbers. According to them, they not only last longer(resistant to cracking), they are way cheaper. My hats off to this couple - they are not too profit oriented :)



You need to splice off the hose in order to fit it around the tail light and signal lights. Once they are attached to the bug, they look pretty good! :)



Finally, the covers are dry - heres how they look like. Although far from the bling bling of chrome, it is equally as far from its costs.




Did the same on the headlights - nice.. :)

I have already removed the newspapers covering the windshields and the windows and discovered major problems :( Find out about them on my next post!

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment